[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
BEDEMON - View topic - about me and how i got infected

about me and how i got infected

Discussion forum for legends of doom... Pentagram!

about me and how i got infected

Postby Philipp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:59 am

why not a little "about me" thread.
don't be afraid, this won't get cheesy. just a bit.^^

i'm phil, born 1979 and i'm german. yea deutschland, kameraden.
i'm a "newbie": i came in touch with pentagram in 2001 when a person i was tape-trading with recorded me the "death is alive" lp. i listened to it and got infected with what i call the pentagram virus.
the symptoms are as follows...

- you get addicted to the music and listen to it again and again
- you buy all pentagram releases you can get and afford
- you buy all pentagram-related releases you can get and afford (place of skulls, joe hasselvander solo...)
- you tell your girlfriend there's another one - called pentagram. she feels hurt.
- if you didn't know raven before you feel a little embarassed and buy their records in second-hand stores, those with joey and those without him. you prefer the one with joey - more powerful production
- you buy the blue cheer tribute and the witchcraft debut lp.
- you buy a wayne kramer lp just because you read somewhere that bobby likes him. (i bought "citizen wayne" and i don't regret it.)
- the victor griffin solo lp gets released. you immediately buy it, afraid that it will soon be sold out. 3 years later it's still available and you wonder what's wrong with this world.
- you see an add for the bedemon lp. you're excited.
- the black manta mcd comes out. you immediately buy it and adore it for its unique- and aggressiveness. your neighbours curse this day forever but it's too late...
- the bedemon lp gets released. you buy a red one and love it.
- you become a member of this forum.
- finally you get your hands on old blue cheer stuff (mp3's, oh well)
- you write a silly thread

(to be continued)
Tell me broken soldier, what shattered your dreams

Postby Philipp » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:35 pm

oh, maybe i should point out this thread is for everyone who feels like telling a bit about themselves and/or how they got to know pentagram.
but maybe it wasn't a good idea...

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:23 am

Hey, I'll play:

Got into Pentagram in the early 90s when Cathedral first came out. Their first album had a list of all of their favourite doom bands, and that became my shopping list for the next few years. Got the Day of Reckoning CD in '94, and dug it, got Relentless a few months later, and really really liked that one. I was vaguely aware that there was an incarnation of Pentagram in the 70s, but in '96, I got a tape of the 1972-1979 boot, and hearing songs like Hurricane, Wheel of Fortune, and Be Forewarned made into a huge fan. Been trading recordings of all eras ever since, and feel pretty sure I've got all the 70s recordings that are circulating...which is kind of a shame, as I'd love to hear some more. It was fun uncovering Pentagram's history...kind of like peeling back a layer, and finding another band underneath.

I almost flew out from Vancouver a few years ago for the Black Cat gig, but didn't for a number of reasons. In hindsight, I wish I'd attempted to go to the Death Row gig in 2001, 'cause that will probably never happen again.

Have picked up a few collectibles along the way, like mint copies of the 2 '80s LPS (with the superior mixes), and I was the winner of the signed CD copy of First Daze Here from the Ramshead site last year...feel really lucky about that one, as it has Vincent's signature on it.

If I ever make loads of money, maybe I'll try getting my hands on those 70s singles...

Postby Geof » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Since the basic topic of the thread is, "How I discovered/was introduced to Pentagram," I felt it should be in the Pentagram forum rather than the generic Den of Doom forum, which is generally for discussing other bands. Interesting reading, hope more join in...

Postby Red » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 pm

I initially heard of Pentagram via All Music Guide. I was a huge Sabbath freak and they pretty much described "Relentless" as basically being a carbon copy of Sabbath's early work. Of course, when I finally got it I soon realized that it was actually a fairly original and enduring metal album, not at all what it was portrayed to be in the review. I enjoyed it for some weeks and didn't think about Pentagram much until I got ahold of First Daze Here. With the opening cut, my obsession was underway. I traded for as many rehearsal tapes as I could find, faithfully bought every new release, and read up as much as I could on the original band and it's many lineups. Through Perry Grayson's amazing "Pentagram & Bedemon: Unholy Duo" article I began to check out Pentagram's early influences and contemporaries. While none of them matched the visceral punch of "Forever My Queen" or "Wheel of Fortune", I got into some truly great music via those interviews discovered great bands such as Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, and Buffalo.

Postby Philipp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 am

Postby perryfalcon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Postby winoguy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:58 pm

I first discovered Pentagram when my friend bought a Peaceville cassette version of Day of Reckoning. I went out and got that and Relentless and I've been on board since buying each release as they came out. I still regreat that I was never able to see the band live. I guess I'll have to settle for seeing Bobby sing War Pigs with Unorthodox at DOBD this year.

Postby thepentagramarchives » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am

Since I'm new to this forum, and Geof said he hopes more will join in....
My name is Jeffrey.
I became aware of PENTAGRAM through Joe Hasselvander.
He and I attended the same high school. We became best of friends, and still are.
I caught the show at Louie's Rock City on 28FEB79 w/ JUDAS PRIEST.
Two years later Joe invited Victor up from Morristown, Tenn. to start a new band called DEATH ROW.
They had their first show at the Happy Pickle in Triangle, Va. as support for THE OBSESSED, in November 1981.
I was there at the inception that night, and had the only camera.
I attended virtually all their shows, several different recording sessions, countless rehearsals, and worked for them in many different capacities over the years.
I got to know Bobby very well....perhaps too well, and the many former members of PENTAGRAM, including Geof, Randy, Richard Keuht, and Vance Bockis.
All in all - I was friends with the majority of them, and contributed to the many bands during that era of the 1980's, including THE OBSESSED, HELLION, CHAIN LACE, FACTORY, but mostly PENTAGRAM.
My last contribution to PENTAGRAM was putting together the album cover for "Review Your Choices".
I moved to Texas in September 1999.
In December 2007, I created "The PENTAGRAM Archives" on MySpace.
I also have MySpace sites for DEATH ROW, HELLION and FACTORY, and one for THE OBSESSED, which I do with former members Dave Flood, and Mark Laue of THE OBSESSED.

Return to Pentagram