Choosing the Pentatunes

Discussion forum for legends of doom... Pentagram!

Choosing the Pentatunes

Postby samnu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:23 am

This is probably a little late to be discussing, but the quesiton crossed my mind. Geof, when it came time to choosing songs for FDH1/2, how was the list compiled??? Did it boil down to studio and quality of rehearsals??? I guess I'm asking about the FDH2, disc 2 more so. Like the rehearsal, for the "first album", why was Virgin Death chosen over, for instance, Downhill Slope (I hope I got the correct session, the cd is not nearby to reference) Just picking your brain.

Postby Geof » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 am

To answer this accurately, I need to revisit some back-and-forth e-mails from around the time FDH2 was taking shape, as it details the evolving track list. Basically, Bobby told Pellet at Relapse what tracks he wanted on FDH2, and then Pellet said there were tracks he felt should be on there and also asked for my input. There was a fair amount of give-and-take and haggling over certain tracks—Bobby was dead-set against "Show 'Em How" for example—but eventually agreed to most of the suggested changes...

Personally, I would like to re-package the material on FDH and FDH2 into theme releases: ALL the studio demos gathered together on one disc. The fake 12-cut "First Album" we envisioned, complete and in the order we intended it, and so on...

Postby samnu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:28 am

The idea of having a theme is pretty cool. That way it's more cohesive and in some kind of an order. So, why were some chosen over others?

Postby Philipp » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:57 am

i also like things in order... he he.

btw, i once did a list with all officially released pentagram songs on it - versions, line-ups etc... i may post that one day.^^
Tell me broken soldier, what shattered your dreams

Return to Pentagram