[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
BEDEMON - View topic - Early 70s Demos, Rehersals, and Boots

Early 70s Demos, Rehersals, and Boots

Discussion forum for legends of doom... Pentagram!

Early 70s Demos, Rehersals, and Boots

Postby nightsblood » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi- Over the years I've picked up several early Pentagram recordings via tape trading. Some of them are accurately labeled, but some are not. Some sound as though they contain tracks from different recording sessions, but due to differences in tape quality, i'm not sure. I'd greatly appreciate any help folks could offer in sorting these out. Some of these may be from bootlegs; if so, i hpoe no one here is offended.
Here are the tapes I have that may not be properly labeled (some song titles may be abbreviated):

1- label says 1971 demo. Contains 4 tracks (man, downhill slope, die in your sleep, target). Man & DiYS sound like the versions from the 72-73 12-track tape session (referred to from hereon as 72/73).

2- label says 1972 demo. 5 tracks- virgin death, yes i do, catwalk, ask no more, loser. The 1st four sound like they're from the 72/73 session.

3- label says rehersal 1973. 4 songs- mad dog, nightmare gown, lie down and die, downhill slope. Downhill Slope sounds like the Late '73 recording also on Human Hurricane and Nightmare Gown sounds like the same version as on First Daze here 2.

4- labeled rehersals 1971-1974. contains 12 tracks- virgin death, I'll certainly see you in hell, mark my word, crucified, rape, run my course, windmill and chimes, bang it out, call the man, walk in the blue light, livin in a rams head, lazy lady. I don't recognize any of these as being the same versions as on Human Hurricane or the FDH collections, nor from any of the better-known studio sessions (bias, underground sound, national warehouse, etc)

5- labeled as Macabre 1972 (let me reiterate that I do not believe some of these labels are at all accurate). Contains 8 tracks- be forewarned, forever my queen, walk in the blue light, living in a rams head, review your choices, ask no more, when the screams come, target. Walk and Review sound like the Bias versions, Forewarned and Ask NM sound like the 72/73 session.

6- labeled stone bunny 1970. 13 tracks, several of which I've never seen on other Pentagram recordings (into the ground, freeland, old man, etc). The other songs sound different from versions I'm familiar with

7- labeled stone bunny 1971. 13 tracks. 'Be Forewarned' sounds like the version from the '72 single; other tracks may be the same versions as on the Rehersals 1971-1974 tape i listed above.

8- labeled virgin death 1973. 8 tracks, most of which sound like they're from the 72/73 session. Virgin Death, Yes i do, i'm a man, catwalk, downhill slope, die in your sleep, loser, 20 buck spin

9- labeled wicked angel 1974. Contains 13 tracks, 3 of which i haven't seen on other 70's-era Pentagram recordings. Frustration, bees, diver, virgin death, everything's turning to night, ask no more, goddess, devil child, burning rays, drive me to the grave, day of reckoning, no comment, target. About half of these sound like they're the same versions used for Human Hurricane, taken from the Late 1973 rehersal session.

A few final comments:
-sorry if I'm missing something obvious about these recordings; some of them may be the same versions recycled, but differences in tape quality make it really difficult to compare some of these to one another.
-sometimes alternate song titles are given (e.g., 'virgin death' is listed as 'pentagram' on some tapes, reflecting a difference in the chorus line, and 'yes I do' is sometimes labeled 'yes I can'). I've just stuck to one name for the songs; I can clarify which tapes have which specific version of the title if need be.
-I have seen a 12-track recording from late 72/early 73 listed but i don't have this recording. Wikipedia lists 11 song titles, and i think 7 of these were on FDH2. [edit: the full, 12-song listing is given in the liner notes of FDH2]
-I've also seen a 21-song rehersal recording from the arlington American Mailing warehouse from dec 73 (i think) but there were no song titles listed and I don't have this recording either. [edit: someone is sending me a copy of this recording; it was supposedly recorded on Bobby Liebling's 20th birthday, date given as 12/21/73]

Thanks again for any help in sorting these out!

Postby Damocles74 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Death Row!!

Victor Griffin rules!
/Step down lower..into the grave/

Return to Pentagram